Friday, April 29, 2016

Confession: I'm a negligent blogger

My last post was made just days before my hip replacement surgery.  Since my surgery I have been concentrating on my physical therapy.  I can say one thing.  I feel better than I have in years!  Through this experience I have discovered a few things.

If you need something bad enough when you finally get it you feel such a great relief, at least I did.  At the same time it was frightening and there was a different type of pain experienced.  It hurts to have all your muscles violated by a scalpel and then sewn back together.  You don't necessarily regain the strength you had prior to your surgery.

So since February 26th I have been concentrating on my hip rehabilitation.  In some ways it's been a long haul and in others an amazing joyful journey.

While I am having some issues in building my strength and I still need to walk with a cane, in others I'm beyond happy.  I can ride an exercise bike!!  Prior to my surgery that was an impossible feat.  I can also walk through a store (although I do tire out) and my ability to stand and just do household chores has increased.  As soon as I build my stamina up I have plans to purchase a bike.  Don has indicated he wants a bike and we can ride together.  I want to be able to ride to the downtown area of my community, or to the shaved ice stand for a small sugar free shaved ice.

My mobility has increased in ways I could only pray would happen.  It is so much better that we have decided to go on not one, but 3 trips in the next 10 months. Added to that are a couple of concerts and a Texas Rangers baseball game!!

Of course I'm still watching what I eat but I also allow myself a little bit of freedom.  I have made great strides in the weight loss and that plays a huge role in my feeling better as well.  So in the next few months part of my posts will be focusing more on getting out enjoying life and becoming more fit.

I'm not going to update anyone on my stats as yet.  Maybe in the near future.  I'm waiting for the next hurdle to be cleared before I say anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment